Giving birth is one of the most beautiful miracles in our world that makes you to experience so many different emotions. Every mother will feel very happy and also anxious when it comes to the first meeting with her little baby. However, afterwards you have to assume overall responsibility for your child and this is not a simple thing. As you might know, you had better take good care of the breastfeeding and prevent any damage to your breast. Because the breast milk is really important to your baby, especially in the first 4 weeks after birth. Among many problems, one perhaps arise when you feed your baby on your milk is mastitis.
What Is Mastitis?
Mastitis is knows as an infection of the women’s breast while breastfeeding. Mostly, the illness occurs with new mom because the bacteria from her child’s mouth invade her breast, in detail, they attack the milk duct by getting through nipple break. As the infection develops, mastitis may lead to the formation of lump in your breast. Meanwhile, you are likely to feel painful, tender and uncomfortable. All of those problems prevent you from feeding your little baby, therefore, he (she) cannot get enough nutrients and grow up healthy. But don’t worry, you can treat mastitis quickly with top wonderful home remedies, so you are able to look after your newborn child carefully. If you come down with severe mastitis, you should go to the hospital for further treatments.
What Causes Mastitis?
There are two main reasons for the occurrence of mastitis, they are the attack of bacteria or the obstacle of a milk duct. With the first one, the bacteria on the baby’s mouth are able to invade your breast through a break of nipple area when you feed your baby. Obviously, bacteria are not dangerous while they are outside your body. However, if bacteria enter your body, they will attack your tissue and cause a lot of problems. In this case, they may trigger mastitis. With the other one, the milk duct is blocked that creates the stasis of milk flow. As a result, this condition leads to breast infection – Mastitis.
What Are the Symptoms of Mastitis?
The following is common symptoms of mastitis that you should take into consideration to deal with it from the beginning:
- Swollen breast or abnormal breast size
- Pain, stiffness, tenderness or burning sensation on your breast
- Pus or abscess in the nipple area
- Uncomfortable condition of your body
Here are top effective home remedies for mastitis that are simple and easy to follow at home. Those solutions will help you get rid of mastitis fast and take good care of your baby’s health as well.
- Hot/Cold Compress
Hot compress and cold compress are two solutions that you cannot forget in the list of home remedies for mastitis. The hot temperature will help you stimulate the blood circulation, remove the obstruction and aid the milk in flowing freely. On the other hand, the cold temperature will relieve ache and reduce swollen area.
How to apply:
- Pour some warm water into a pack to prepare the hot therapy
- Add some ice cubes in a pack to prepare the cold therapy
- Put the hot pack or cold pack on the painful breast to treat the mastitis
- Another option is that you can combine both types of compress. Firstly, put the hot pack in the affected area for 20 minutes. Afterward, replace the hot one with cold one for 10 minutes. Keep doing the replacement for 3 more times.
The simple and comfortable home remedy for mastitis is to massage at home. If you face with mastitis, you had better follow this way to get rid of it quickly. Massage helps your breast relax and recover the good condition, it also boosts the milk flow and decreases the swollen area. If you notice, you are able to massage your breast with a mixture of some essential oils to get the better result.
Garlic is popular with people all over the world as a natural medicine. Thanks to nutrients in garlic, it can promote the recovery, reduce the infection and improve the immune system. Moreover, garlic works as antibiotics, it will deal with mastitis and help you keep this problem away. Fortunately, garlic doesn’t have any side effect on your health, so you can add it in your meal and consume it daily basis.
- Apple Cider Vinegar
If you are looking for home remedies for mastitis, apple cider vinegar will not let you down. Apple cider vinegar helps you treat mastitis, prevents those bad symptoms from developing and boosts your overall health. It is advised that you should drink some tablespoons of apple cider vinegar per day to stay away from mastitis.
How to apply
- Prepare a cup of water, add some tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. Put some drops of the mixture directly on the affected breast. Then clean the area after 20 minutes.
- Alternatively, you mix a cup of water with some apple cider vinegar, add some more honey if you want, consume this liquid about 2-3 times a day.
- Cabbage Leaves
Cabbage leaves are another wonderful home remedy for mastitis. They can ease the pain and help you feel more comfortable. With the sulfur properties in cabbage leaves, they relieve the swelling and infection.
How to apply:
- Put some cabbage leaves in the refrigerator for 20 minutes
- Afterward, take a leaf out and place it on the painful area
- When the leaf is warmer, change it for a new one
- Keep doing this remedy until you feel better